Monday, July 8, 2013

Movie Review: The Bling Ring

Last week I got around to seeing The Bling Ring, Sofia Coppola's latest flick.

~Movie poster, from imdb~

The movie tells the true story of a group of California teens who broke into celebrities' houses and stole their expensive belongings (for more information on the movie, go here, and for information on the true story, here). Coppola's depiction of the events is really fun to watch: it's visually intense, has a great and arresting soundtrack, and is anchored by an interesting plot. The actors do well, especially Israel Broussard and Katie Chang (and seeing Emma Watson play a valley girl is fun too). There are a lot of graphic clubbing scenes which I wasn't expecting, but they add to the feeling that the world the characters inhabit is largely of their making and at times completely unrecognizable. I'd recommend The Bling Ring as an enjoyable summer movie that departs a bit from your typical teen flick.

~Still from a club scene, from imdb~

No comments:

Post a Comment