~Exterior of the Capitol Hill Starbucks~
For the best latte: visit Starbucks on the Hill. I won't post too many chains on this list, and I wish I could say I found a local shop with a great latte, but unfortunately the coffee I tasted at other places wasn't that great. The Starbucks on the Hill has surprisingly good lattes--consistently better than at other locations in the area, in fact. The milk is always slightly foamy--in my opinion, the perfect way to brew a latte.
- Other things to try: breakfast sandwich (my favorite is the veggie, egg, and cheese)
~Le Bon Cafe from across the street~
For the tastiest sandwich: visit Le Bon Cafe. I frequented this cafe a lot this summer, and almost always ordered the same thing: the grilled chicken panini. I love a warm toasted sandwich, and the chicken panini at Le Bon Cafe is delicious: tasty chicken and pesto, served with a scrumptious serving of potato salad.
- Other things to try: daily soup offering (lentil, rice, chicken, etc)
- Avoid: cookies (lacking in flavor), quiche (under seasoned)
~Mural and menu inside Burrito Brothers~
~The burrito bowl I ordered~
For the best Mexican food: visit Burrito Brothers. Choices included traditional offerings like burritos, salads, and tacos, and I ordered a chicken burrito bowl. It came with a variety of optional topings (the usual corn, tomato, and other veggies offered at competitors like Chipotle and Qdoba). What I really liked was the three types of salsa that were available on the counter as a self-service feature. I tried the two less spicy options and the result was delicious.
~Screen shot from Good Stuff Eatery website~
For the juiciest burger: visit Good Stuff Eatery. I don't eat beef, but in addition to traditional burgers there are several turkey and veggie items on the menu, as well as the option to have any burger sandwich made with grilled chicken. I ordered the Michelle Melt (many of the burgers have politics-esque names), a turkey burger with caramelized onions and herb mayonnaise, and ate the whole thing. The Good Stuff Eatery also serves fries, wedge salads, and milkshakes.
~Capitol Hill Firehook~
For the best smoothie: visit Firehook. The Capitol Hill location of Firehook, a local chain, is large and relaxing, with two cozy seating areas and a pleasant atmosphere. Firehook sells breads, pastries, sandwiches, and coffee, but my favorite thing to order is their smoothies. You can order any combination of fruit, coffee, and sweet ingredients. My favorite is chocolate banana, though I prefer mocha if I need an afternoon pick-up. These smoothies are a delicious treat!
- Other things to try: cookies (there are around 10 flavors available; the chocolate chip is very good)
- Avoid: chicken panini (mediocre, they use deli chicken as opposed to sliced chicken breast and the bread wasn't great)
~Capitol Hill Pitango Gelato~
For the best dessert: visit Pitango Gelato. Also a local chain, they offer several different flavors of high quality gelato, available in a cup or cone. I ordered banana gelato, which was excellent, though I was also tempted by the chocolate hazelnut. They'll even combine two flavors in your order!
~Bar at Beuchert's Saloon~
~Happy Hour menu~
For the best drinks: visit Beuchert's Saloon. Beuchert's is a nice bar/restaurant, with a classy interior and good service. Their happy hour menu is reasonably priced, with several beer and wine options. Though I was disappointed to see no cider offered, I enjoyed the white wine that I ordered. When I couldn't choose between two different kinds, the bartender even offered me a taste of each, which I really appreciated.
I highly recommend any of the places above, but there are many more Capitol Hill restaurants yet to be explored! It's a very food-rich area and I hope to try a few more places in the couple of weeks I have left in my internship.




No comments:
Post a Comment